The author is recomending special tips to tell Imprtance to habilts over Goals. After going through Tiny changes, Reamarkable results .Book opened my mind. Few days ago, I had a very powerful realization while reading a book. With this blog post I hope you feel the same. The book that I was reading is “Atomic […]#200:S:Why need to give Importance to habits over Goals
We become what we think. I think you starts with good habits so so we can say that developing good habit can give us a boost in our life.
Highly successful people frequently attribute their success to certain habits that they maintain. Regularly performing specific actions can have a beneficial effect on your career and your progress toward goals.
Consider developing positive habits that will sharpen your mind, help you to relax and focus or maximize the use of your time. In this article, we explain nine habits that can help you achieve success.
Habits that promote success
Since a habit is a regularly repeated action, you can purposefully develop any habit by choosing an action and implementing a strategy to perform it regularly. Consider trying these common habits of highly successful people:
- Read books.
- Connect with others.
- Set and pursue goals.
- Develop a healthy lifestyle.
- Challenge yourself.
- Stay updated.
- Organize your finances.
- Make use of feedback.
- Maintain a routine.
1. Read books
Reading is an excellent habit to form that can have a beneficial influence on your creativity, analytical skills, knowledge and stress levels.
The act of reading for more than a few minutes a day can lower your heart rate, relieve stress and help you to sleep better. Reading fiction can stimulate creative thought processes, and any reading can sharpen analytical skills if you consider the information as you read.
Highly successful business people often make a daily habit of reading histories, biographies, industry research or other non-fiction books to learn from the past and stay updated while also taking time to relax and unwind. To develop a habit of reading regularly, try these tips:
- Make a list of books you’d like to read, or choose a genre you’re interested in and begin reading the bestseller list.
- Plan a certain amount of time for reading every day, such as for 15 minutes after waking up or for 30 minutes before going to sleep.
- Join a local library or book club or partner with a friend to read a book and then discuss it together.
2. Connect with others
Building and maintaining positive relationships can have a significant effect on your career. Positive relationships outside of the workplace contribute to a healthy work life balance, and forming good business relationships with colleagues and industry contacts can help you to have a pleasant work environment, stay updated in your industry or learn of new career opportunities. Here are a few ways you can create and maintain personal connections:
- Attend networking events to meet people.
- Make a list of your contacts and a plan to check in with them regularly.
- Schedule quality time to spend with friends or colleagues outside of work hours.
Related: Building Rapport: Tips and Examples
3. Set and pursue goals
Identifying, planning and tracking progress toward your career goals is a habit that can lead to success. These actions encompass other habits of successful people, such as living purposefully, taking action, avoiding wasting time and being goal-oriented or results-driven.
Regularly creating and working toward both small and large goals helps you identify your purpose and use it to guide you through your career. Consider these tips to begin making a habit of using goals:
- Write your goals down somewhere easily visible or use tracking software to remind you of them regularly.
- Set goals using the SMART method to make sure that they are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time-based.
- Use goals to focus on areas of your career development.
Read more: Setting Goals to Improve Your Career
4. Develop a healthy lifestyle
Living a healthy lifestyle involves eating well, getting enough rest at night and exercising regularly. All of these habits can give you energy and stamina to return to work refreshed and ready to focus on accomplishing your tasks. They can also improve your general morale and stimulate creative thought processes. Try these techniques to begin developing a healthy lifestyle:
- Get seven to eight hours of sleep per night by planning when you will go to bed and wake up, and using alarms to remind you.
- Incorporate exercise into your workday by taking a walk on a break or after lunch.
- Develop strategies for managing workplace stress
5. Challenge yourself
Regularly encouraging yourself to move outside of your comfort zone and seek out or accept new challenges can lead you to learn new skills, accept more responsibility, earn a promotion and help you keep working toward your goals. Risk-taking is also considered one of the top leadership traits. Try these tips to find ways to challenge yourself:
- At the end of each day, week, or month, identify things you want to change or wish you had done better and make a plan to improve.
- Consider what is outside your comfort zone but could be beneficial to your career, such as using new technology, speaking up in meetings or networking, and set a goal to do one challenging thing per month.
- Ask a friend or coworker to help you learn or perform actions that you find difficult, or sign up for a class.
Related: How to Get Motivated at Work
6. Stay updated
Very successful people are usually up-to-date in their field or industry. Staying aware of news, technology, current trends or cutting research can help you to perform well in your role, identify market opportunities and know how best to manage any situation. Try these tips to make a habit of staying updated:
- Subscribe to news sources that are relevant to your position, industry or goals.
- Set aside a certain amount of time each day or once a week to read news or research new techniques.
- Create a goal of learning something new each day, week or month.
7. Organize your finances
One key to success is controlling your finances at all times. Highly successful people frequently live within their means, invest well or develop multiple streams of income. Organization can be helpful in every area of career success, but organizing your finances well can help you identify and target your desired job and have money available to train in the skills you need to obtain it. Try these tips to manage your finances well:
- Use a budgeting app or other software to help you organize.
- Consider opportunities for creating passive income.
- Identify your target income and create career goals for achieving it.
Related: How to Disclose Salary Requirements
8. Make use of feedback
Habitually obtaining feedback can lead to career success by helping you to identify your strengths and weaknesses. Implement the feedback by creating plans to use your strengths more or improve your weaknesses. Regular feedback can also help you track your progress, create new goals, stay motivated and learn from your mistakes. Try these tips to make a habit of seeking out and implementing feedback:
- Ask your supervisor for regular check-ins or status updates on your performance.
- Keep a record of the feedback you receive and the actions you take to use it.
- Regard negative feedback as an opportunity to learn, challenge yourself and improve your skills.
9. Maintain a routine
The most common habit of highly successful people is to have a daily routine. Creating and maintaining a routine for each part of your day can help you to constantly work toward your goals, engage in positive actions and ensure your productivity. Consider these ways to develop a helpful routine:
- Identify what you would like your routine to be, based on your career goals and what will help you to excel in your position or industry. Write out the routine, and use reminders on your phone or calendar to help you take those actions every day.
- Begin each day with a focus. Consider writing a to-do list every day either immediately in the morning or before you go to sleep. To avoid an overwhelming amount of tasks, set several things for you to accomplish, such as two, three or five tasks per day.
- Incorporate other items into your routine that you want to make a habit of, such as reading a chapter of a book before going to sleep, taking a walk after lunch or cleaning out your inbox before leaving work for the day.
Create a free account on the world’s #1 job site!Create an Account
Tips for creating habits
Here are some helpful tips to begin forming positive habits:
Begin creating habits by choosing one. Once it becomes a regular action that you perform without reminders, move on to building your next habit.
Since a habit has to be repeated often, consider using a calendar, alarm or other scheduling apps or techniques to help you. Make your habit goals particular to a day or time of day, such as performing industry research on Thursdays or reading the news while you eat breakfast.
Use visual reminders
Try placing reminders of your desired habit where you will see them frequently. You could write the first action you want to perform every day in dry erase marker on your bathroom mirror, leave a note for yourself on your desk, hang relevant items on your wall or change your computer background or screensaver to pictures of your schedule or goals.
The key to creating a habit is to always perform it the same way. This can include doing it at the same time every day, going to the same place, starting the same way or doing tasks in a certain order.
Ask for help
Tell a close friend, family member or coworker about the habit you want to create, and ask if they will help. They could check in on your progress, let you know if you’re falling behind or give you reminders. Knowing that you have to report your progress to someone can motivate you to keep working.
It is easier to build habits when the actions you want to perform are attractive to you. If you know you will receive a reward or enjoy the profits of the habit, you should be more likely to keep doing it.
Rate this article
How can we help?
How To Correctly Pronounce Names at Work (and What To Do When Your Name Is Pronounced Wrong)In honor of World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development, we created this guide on how to approa…
53 Examples of Workplace GoalsDiscover 53 examples of workplace goals for key aspects of business operation, with explanations of how they improve a…Explore your next job opportunity on IndeedFind Jobs
Search jobs and companies hiring now onWhatJob title, keywords, or company
The information on this site is provided as a courtesy. Indeed is not a career or legal advisor and does not guarantee job interviews or offers.